Solutions for Aviation
Airports are often the first stop on a traveler’s journey. Creative design accompanied by high-performing products enables a seamless passenger-centric experiences for all travelers. The following construction materials have been hand-picked by our technical experts for new, expansions, and/or renovations of airport terminals (airside and landside facilities). Need something else?
local BASF representative to learn more about our extensive portfolio of construction solutions
03 00 00 Concrete Solutions
For concrete floors/slab on ground:
To minimize repair closure times on ramps, taxiways, runways, aprons and aircraft stands:
To help achieve the projects sustainable goals:
- 4x4 Concrete- patented system for rapid strength concrete to minimize closure time. Meets FAA P-501 specification requirements for airport concrete pavements.
- Green Sense Concrete- reduce your carbon footprint and help achieve the projects sustainable construction goals. Follow the link to learn how to make the most of your concrete.
07 10 00 Waterproofing
To protect foundations and to waterproof between split slab applications:
- MasterSeal HLM 5000- seamless bitumen-modified polyurethane waterproofing membrane for exterior below-grade applications. DIV 07 14 16
To protect below grade concrete and masonry substrates:
To protect above grade concrete structures from the impact of carbonation:
- MasterSeal 581- cement based coating to help protect building interiors from dampness and moisture damage. Resistant to both positive and negative hydrostatic pressure, suitable for interior and exterior use. DIV 07 16 00
- MasterProtect EL 850- silicone modified anti-carbonation exterior elastomeric waterproof wall coating for exterior, above grade vertical surfaces. Superior crack-bridging ability with a total elongation of 700%. complies with Federal Specification TT-C-555B, Type II.
07 18 00 Traffic Coatings & Deck Membranes
Specify a waterproofing system to help protect wearing surfaces from pedestrian and or vehicular traffic abrasion, as well as to protect concrete from scaling and chloride intrusion.
For elevated decks:
- MasterSeal Traffic 2500- waterproofing membrane system that provides excellent waterproofing and protects the occupied spaces below. DIV 07 18 16
07 92 00 Joint Sealants
The integrity of a structure is often only as good as the sealants used.For windows, doors and siding applications that need to bond to concrete, masonry units or porous substrates:
- MasterSeal NP1- polyurethane sealant with movement capability ±35%, VOC content = 35 g/L, VOC compliant for interior use per LEED v.4 Low-Emitting Materials. Suitable for immersion in water. 13 standard colors. DIV 07 92 13
For coated metal applications (PDVF coatings):
- MasterSeal NP 100- hybrid sealant that combines polyurethane & silicone properties with movement capability ±50%, VOC content = 29 g/L; VOC compliant for interior use per LEED v.4 Low-Emitting Materials. CDPH v1.1 compliant. 14 standard colors with 40 stocked tint bases available. DIV 07 92 13
To improve sound damping performance within the terminal:
- MasterSeal NP 520 – siliconized acrylic latex sealant to seal sound flanking paths in partition walls, fire-rated, meets Class A criteria set by NFPA 101. VOC content= 13 g/L, VOC compliant for interior use per LEED v.4 Low-Emitting Materials. 11 standard colors. DIV 07 92 19
07 95 00 Expansion Control from Watson Bowman Acme
When designs must account for heavy point loads and a wide variety of traffic, consider the following floor expansion joint systems:
- Wabo® Seismic Floor- accommodates 2”-24” multidirectional movements, stainless steel options available, ADA compliant. Designed with a cover plate that has inverted bevel enabling it to be flush with the finished floor.
- Wabo® VIP- premier joint for extremely long service life, accommodates 1”-4” movements and high volume pedestrian traffic. Smooth no-bump riding surface is ideal for courtesy vehicles and rolling luggage. System requires no field assembly and is ideal for terrazzo, tile, carpet or other resinous flooring options.To maintain the integrity of the interrupted fire rated assembly and prevent the spread of fire. All systems tested to meet appropriate UL, ASTM, NFPA, ICBO, and CAN/ULC guidelines. All joint systems can be fire rated by combining the selected system with one of Watson Bowman Acme’s fire rated systems.
Every aviation project has its unique design requirements. In situations where our standard designs aren’t what you are looking for, we have a team of technical experts that can work with you to design a custom product that meets your projects exact needs. Contact us today!
09 67 00 Resinous Flooring Solutions
Ticketing/check-in, baggage claim, restaurants/food courts, restrooms, and retail- Specify a seamless, budget friendly, highly versatile, VOC compliant, durable, decorative and long lasting epoxy floor.
- MasterTop 1234- Epoxy-resin binder with colored quartz aggregates; ideal for lobbies, atriums, patient rooms and cafeterias; system thickness = 1/8" (3mm) to 3/16” (5mm). DIV 09 67 26For passenger screening and concourses- ability to withstand heavy pedestrian traffic while demonstrating excellent abrasion & wear resistance. Adjustable slip resistance and fully cured in 1 hour.
- MasterTop 1851 SRS CF- Methyl-methacrylate-based, flexible self-leveling flooring system with decorative flake broadcast. Ideal for operating rooms, surgical areas, and animal research areas; typical system thickness = 3/16” (~5 mm), 1-hour cure. Compliant with the California Department of Public Health (CDPH) Standard Method v1.1-2010 Emissions Testing. DIV 09 67 23 (View certification)For airport hangars - excellent abrasion resistance, ideal for wheeled traffic. Chemical and stain resistant for easy maintenance.
- MasterTop 1215AHS – durable and high reflectivity to provide increased visibility for a safer working environment. Can be opened for traffic in 24 hours. 7 standard colors, with custom colors available upon request.For mechanical Rooms – maximum durability; able to withstand both harsh cleaning regiments (hot water, steam, aggressive chemicals and solvents) and to endure the weight of heavy equipment.
- Ucrete HP/F- Flow applied cementitious urethane, 1/4-3/8" (6-9.5mm) finished thickness, can be applied to 7-10 day old concrete, VOC compliant, meets ADA slip resistance recommendations, wide temperature in service range (-50*-210*F) (-45-100*C). DIV 09 67 23To expedite the flooring installation process and manage moisture in concrete:
- MasterTop VB 240FS- fast setting, 100% solids epoxy moisture vapor barrier system that reduces the permeance of moisture vapor through concrete to levels that are acceptable for the installation of resinous flooring systems. Can be applied to 7 day-old concrete. Complete system warranty when used with MasterTop systems. DIV 03 39 00
Concrete Technology in Focus: 4x4 Airport Pavement Concrete
Expansion Control: Denver International Airport
Expansion Control: Detroit Airport
Performance Flooring Color Portfolio